Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Strange things are afoot at the Circle K.

(Note: I started writing this pretty much right after the game and then got interrupted...so the AP probably beat me to most of this.)

I do believe that makes a win streak!

I know, I promised a post last night, but something came up, as "somethings" invariably do.

Anyway, I didn't really have the heart to blog about last night's game, because even though it was a W, it was still "meh," as Becky likes to say in sound effect. (Can I pull off the 3rd person? No, I didn't think so either.) It was one of those games that should have been put away early, but obviously wasn't, and Vince still did all his annoying crap but for whatever reason his line totally hid the fact that he made me smack my forehead a couple times. RJ does look great, I have to say. His "pop" isn't quite there yet, but he's back! I've mentioned this before, but one thing you can always count on is RJ playing his butt off. He doesn't take games off. (Speaking of...fantastic work over at TrueHoop as usual.) And that is why he is my favorite Net. OK, second favorite behind His Bokiness, who continues to astound. Marv and Mark were pointing out how RJ being out gave Boki the chance to build up some confidence and such and now he can be the spark off the bench. Between those two and Mikki, I can honestly say there are at least 3 guys busting their asses on the court every night again. You know what? I'll even throw E. House in there too, even if he is a liiiiittle bit of a liability on D. And we'll overlook the fact that Boki did almost ruin it w/ a stupid foul at the end. Also will ignore the reediculous free throw shooting and skip the whole "I mean...they're free!" commentary. OK so it's not all completely back on track just yet, but at this point what's the difference between 8th in the playoffs and last in the lottery? 17 games left. We'll just have to wait and see how it shakes out.

Such a nice change to get Marv and Mark after the yahoos they got doing the call in Memphis last night. I guess it's not a fair comparison at all, as Albert and Jackson are clearly the gold standard, and would be in national broadcasting as well. But I dunno WHAT was going on last night, they kept talking about how the color guy was drafted a long time ago and really the story was not at all interesting and therefore not worth me looking up how to spell his name. Plus they (and this is a problem w/ a lot of the local teams) did not do their homework and spent a good portion of the broadcast expounding on the "great" and "surprising" story that Mikki Moore has been for the Nets. Ummm...maybe worth one mention to get the yokels back on track, but come on, anyone who pays peripheral attention to the NBA knows about Mikki and his snakes and hard-luck journeyman tales. Also, they enthusiastically credited a basket (or 2) to "CHUCKY WATSON!!!" Ummm...OK. In fact, I know I said I wouldn't rip on them but dude...they also called Moore an "activity guy," which meant you "don't want to have a window open around him." I have no idea WTF that means. OK. That's all. I promise.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

For some reason, the Memphis PA controlling dudes are still piping "Laffy Taffy" into the arena. This seems like a cruel form of torture. Someone send help.

Quick note on the OKC crowd. I had seen it before but forgotten all about it...the crowd does that thing that college fans do where they remain standing at the beginning of the game until their team scores. That fucking rocks. The Hornets didn't score for almost 3 minutes! I fully support The OKC's endeavor in getting a team, it's fantastic to see a fan base that actually cares, rather than a hot team with an empty arena like the Heat. (Yeah yeah yeah...and the Nets. Whatever.) It's a shame the Hornets can't stay...why do they want to go back to New Orleans anyway? I can't imagine their fan base is too excited about the Hornets w/ all the bingeing and purging and date raping and all distracting them. Oh, they need the team to help build their economy back up and BLAH BLAH BLAH? Whatever dude, if they didn't want ot lose their NBA team, they shouldn't have built their stupid city in a giant BOWL. Ummm...just kidding? I'm just sayin'. OKC should have a team. And anyone protesting the thought of the Hornets moving seemed to be more along the lines of "Don't do that to the city of New Orleans." Juxtapose that with the Seattle "Don't take our Sonics away from us" and you see what I mean. Maybe.

All this disparaging talk of other cities is probably just because I am exceedingly bitter that I am stuck in NY on my very last spring break ever. Maybe I'm a stupid spoiled whore, but it's the first spring break I haven't done ANYTHING. In high school I went away w/ my family every year and in college I always made it at least as far south as Atlanta. First year of law school I went to South Beach and last year I went to the Whale's Vagina for my first (and only) visit to the great state of California. This year...I just couldn't get anything together. And again, apologies for being a stupid spoiled whore, but it's fucking depressing. I know I got to extend my college experience by 3 years for all intents and purposes, but darn it, it's my last spring break and I'll be a brat if I want to.

Annnnyway. Digression passed. When I go to write about the Nets, I generally look for an angle and go with it. But I haven't really figured out what this team is about yet. I'm kind of hoping Vince will be more motivated now that RJ is back, but we'll see. I have yet to figure out what drives Vince, what it is that makes him either try or not try. It's a freaking mystery and it drives me a little crazy. So to sum up. No angle. No answers. But...2 wins and the 7th seed for right now! Woo!

The real excitement, of course, is the HUGE matchup between the Suns and the Mavs tomorrow night (tonight, I guess, if you wanna get all technical and stuff). I absolutely LOVE both these teams. I believe Dirk and Cuban are 2 of the more compelling characters in the league. And after reading Seven Seconds, I obviously have a big non-sexual crush on the entire Phoenix organization.
So in the spirit of this exciting excitement, here is Dirk and JT (2 gods in once place...catch me). Here is the Suns video page; their marketing department showcases some brilliant work.
And here...is this:

I know it's not new but gosh darn it makes me one happy Becky. Anyone else notice Dirk is wearing a backwards SHAWN BRADLEY jersey too???
I LOVE THIS GAME!


Have a safe Wednesday, kiddies. I'll bring the sexy back real soon.

No comments: