Saturday, March 10, 2007

I see PRIDE. I see POWER. I see a BADASS MOTHA...

I'm sorry for neglecting all you hardcore Nets fans the past week or so. All...zero of you. But seriously, it has actually been a week filled with studying, plus one night of hardcore drinking, and a game on NBATV that I couldn't watch. I probably won't be able to watch the Spurs game too closely tonight either (if at all). And I have a lot of Nets-related reading to catch up on. HOWEVA. You have my undying pledge to bring you all the hot sweaty Nets-on-Spaniard action going on Monday night in Memphis.
In the meantime, check out how impartial observers view the Nets over at Stop Mike Lupica. The studs over there sum up pretty well why this team is sometimes (oftentimes) painful to watch.

There is so much college basketball on right now that I want to watch, but...I'm exhausted and Cool Runnings is on. Feel the rhythm! Feel the rhyme! Get on up! It's bobsled time! Yeah I caught it JUST when it started too. I'm a loser. But I'm money.

I'm not in the habit of writing reviews of movies, television shows (my expressed disdain for "My Boys" notwithstanding) or music. This is due to the fact that I am not even close to knowledgeable enough to make accurate assessments of the quality of these mediums. I have no technical training in music composition, screenwriting, film production, etc. etc. etc. I leave it to the professionals to write the reviews because even though I know they're a) talking out of their asses most of the time; and b) highly unlikely to know what I personally would or would not like, they are the experts. And really, I figure no one gives a shit what my opinions are and are perfectly willing and able to form their own if they see fit.

Now. That having been said. I just got back from an afternoon trip to the movie theater to see 300. And. Well.... I was absolutely and completely blown out of the water. I kept thinking throughout the whole thing, "I love everything about this movie," then reminding myself there was still so much left that I shouldn't prematurely make those statements (or the shorter inner monologue version of such thoughts). Then it ended and...wow. Just wow. I cannot recommend it highly enough. And I don't think I have to, because everyone I know was equally pumped for this movie to come out. But let me say this- even if you are NOT a fan of senseless violence (note: I am!), this is one of the most visually amazing films I have ever seen. (I thought Sin City was cool as hell in this regard, but didn't find it "breathtaking," per se.) If you have the appreciation for any type of aesthetics, you'll agree w/ me on how unbelievable 300 was. I don't want to gush anymore about it since I'm sure all the reviews say the same type of thing (I try not to read a movie's reviews until after I see them so I don't really know). But it was by far the best movie I have seen in a really long time and just wanted to throw that out there. I 100% loved it. There were 4 legitimate chill scenes (apologies for the Simmons etymology) and an actual strong female character that didn't annoy the hell out of me. This girl found her $10.50 well spent.
One more thing though. During the battle scenes, I found my EYES TEARING because I unintentionally DIDN'T WANT TO BLINK.

Even though the movie rocked me so hard, there were a couple lines worth giggling at, some sweet HoYay to enjoy, and of course some MAN CANDY!
Now, about that....

First of all, what is it about Dominic West? I don't generally go for old guys, but he is a big pile of sex. And he is amazing on "The Wire." Why is it he only seems to get cast as super douchebags these days then??? Seriously, I had that thought watching Hannibal Rising (utter crap, by the way) and then again today...next time Dom, PLEASE take a role where I can like you. Because...I LIKE you. That doesn't necessarily mean "good guy" either. I've been known to love a villain. I like bad boys as much as the next gal. Just don't play anymore douches like these last 2...k?

Now. Rodrigo Santoro is absolutely gorgeous. I'll confess, I am completely obsessed with "Lost." And while we're on the subject, it's pretty awful how all of a sudden we're just supposed to believe Santoro's character and his wife have... been on the island the whole time! We swear! Didn't you see them?!

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Anyway, I did not even recognize him as Xerxes AT ALL. The obvious joke is to compare Xerxes with Dhalsim.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

However...may I offer a slightly more entertaining comparison?

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

After my friend pointed it out the first time Xerxes showed up in the movie, well...that pretty much ruined the thin fabric of "take Xerxes seriously as a god and dictator" believability. Oh well.

Anyway. 300. If you don't like this movie, we probably can't be friends.

4 comments:

Eric Chase said...

300 WAS an excellent movie. I'm glad I spent a dollar fifty less on my ticket than you did though. Enjoyed reading your blog.

Dat RoRo Kid said...

Goddammit. I'm going to watch it IMMEDIATELY after work today. No more dilly-dallying!

Yea, I nearly shat myself the other day when the commercial came on and there was fuckin' McNulty!! I also saw VH1's 'Hendrix' movie the other day and who was Hendrix, you may ask? None other than Avon Fuckin' Barksdale. That was a good laugh...

onthevirg said...

Two words for 300: f**cking badass! I don't watch a lot of movies in the theatre anymore, but there's some flicks you just KNOW you have to see on the big big screen. This was obviously one of those. I could have done w/out the whole political intrigue plot, but it did allow for us to see some hot queen action. Bow -chicka-bow-bow.

Unknown said...

Well, if we are playing this game: Stringer Bell is in the new Gabrielle Union movie "Daddy's Little Girls".

And 300 = $4 movie (will see it Tuesday at the cheap theater).